CONSTRUCTION ESTIMATOR JOB DESCRIPTION
To maximize company profit and growth through the accurate and efficient preparation and organization of pre-construction methods and materials.
Develop professional and interpersonal skills that will benefit the company and the employee.
- Cost Estimating and Accounting
- Keep material and subcontractor pricing accurate through continual crosschecking of updated information.
- Update spreadsheet and NewStar with cost changes and fluctuations.
- Update bid sheets in Bid Book to correlate with information in spreadsheets & NewStar
- Inform managers of cost increases and confirm same.
Oversee and direct the bidding process with subcontractors and suppliers.
- Obtain bids from subcontractors and suppliers
- Review plans and drawings with subcontractors during the bidding process
- Provide potential suppliers with company specifications and scope of work to assist in the bidding process
- Complete quantity takeoffs for all areas of work including those bid by subcontractors, and track OUR estimates in costs spreadsheet
- Compare bids against each other and OUR estimates to dertermine accuracy. Input final bids into COSTS in preparation for NewStar entry
Determine costs for options through bids and takeoffs
Meet with contractors and suppliers to establish bid contracts for standard plans and all options on regularly scheduled basis.
Verify price per unit, and unit counts on all bids.
Confirm that field installation practices conform to bid. (For example, widths of driveways and walks are as specified.)
- Design MECCheck packages for new plans and update for current plans.
- Determine the most cost effective way to pass MECCheck requirements
- Propose options for design to company manager for approval
- Prepare takeoffs and construction packages to reflect MECCheck design.
- Keep current all training manuals, guides, and checklists related to current job responsibilities.
- General training manual including and describing this job outline.
- Outline of steps for production of Construction Packages.
- Master spreadsheets for permit tracking and recording, bidding, options, etc. as necessary.
Oversee and provide direction for Department
- Coordinate permit submittal
- Coordinate package completion
- Oversee option costing and set sales price
Pre Construction Meeting
- Meet with buyers to discuss options and changes prior to construction and redline all changes and options to plans.
- Review plot plan and house placement on lot.
- Write up any additional changes or options requested by buyer.
Set sales price for options based on estimated costs and market conditions
Propose standard options for approval
Set prices for all special pricing requests from sales force
- Revise plans to conform to company specifications and local building codes.
- Work with engineers to develop cost effective structural layouts.
- Advise company managers on cost effective design for house plans.
- Draft plans of custom and optional items as needed.
- Obtain engineering and layouts for new plans
- Create models for new home plans in NewStar
- Copy base model products form existing model to new one
- Adjust part takeoffs & model subcontracts for new model using COSTS spreadsheet for all input data
- Adjust each optional produc accordingly to meet model and subdivision specifications
- Export lumber parts to excel spreadsheet
- E-mail excel spreadsheet to all potential bidders at least one week before the end of the bid period
- Once bids are received copy into costs to compare. Make sure all pricing lines up to what is in costs or adjust as needed.
- Once supplier is chosen, notify supplier and supers
- Import back into NewStar
- Apply Master project for each community
- If supplier changes from previous month, then change primary supplier
Special Option Pricing
- Receive special option pricing requests from sales agent (via e-mail or fax)
- Complete quantity take-offs and bids for special option
- If structural change, receive clearance from Manager and engineering if applicable (minimum $300 engineering fee)
- Meet with superintendent if necessary regarding structural or site changes
- Set sales price for option and fax/ e-mail back to sales agent within 24 hours
- Keep database of option sales price, costs, lot and any other relevant information
- Answer sales agents questions regarding standard or special options, features, changes etc.